Sumary of Adjunct professors should be eligible for relief from the ‘crushing burden’ of student debt, Democrats say in new bill:
- Four Democrats introduced a bill to make adjunct professors eligible for student loan forgiveness.
- The current Public Service Loan Forgiveness program only applies to full-time public servants – not adjuncts.
- The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program forgives the student debt of public servants after 120 qualifying payments.
- But while full-time teachers qualify for this relief, adjunct professors don’t.
- Cory Booker, introduced the Adjunct Faculty Loan Fairness Act, which would make adjunct professors eligible to participate in PSLF.
- Under current law, a public service job is characterized as full-time work, or a minimum weekly average of 30 hours of work, but adjunct professors who often work at several schools, and have multiple jobs, have difficulties meeting those requirements.