Sumary of IQiyi Wins Streaming Deal With English Premier League:
- What’s New: Chinese streaming platform iQiyi Inc. struck a broadcast rights deal with the English Premier League, the company said Wednesday.
- The deal gives iQiyi exclusive new-media broadcast rights on the Chinese mainland and in Macao for four years of the league’s soccer games starting next month.
- When Super Sports Media Inc., iQiyi Sports’ partner, obtained a six-year exclusive deal for broadcast rights from the English Premier League in 2012, it paid $20 million.
- The background: Last September, the league terminated a 650 million pound ($861.6 million) agreement with local rights holder PPTV after it stopped paying broadcast fees.
- In addition to the British soccer league, iQiyi also owns the broadcast rights to LaLiga, the Spanish soccer league, the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the PGA Championship.