Sumary of Why Is This Obscure Corner of the Stock Market Exploding Higher?:
- The Nasdaq Composite (NASDAQINDEX:^IXIC) and S&P 500 (SNPINDEX:^GSPC) slightly outperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJINDICES:^DJI), but all three benchmarks were significantly higher on the day.
- Index Percentage Change Point Change Dow +0.68% +237 S&P 500 +0.85% +38 Nasdaq +0.82% +124 Data source: Yahoo!
- “Clean” energy The big question in the energy industry has been whether plans to shutter nuclear power plants will go forward.
- On the one hand, the dangers of such plants are well-known, with the Fukushima Daiichi disaster in 2011 prompting many countries around the world that had historically relied on nuclear power to make plans to transition away from uranium.
- Roughly half of nuclear power plants in the U.S. are scheduled to close in the next decade.
- However, ambitious goals to reduce carbon emissions could lead to a change of heart regarding nuclear power.
- By carbon-centered definitions, nuclear energy is “clean,” despite the challenges of disposing of waste material and preventing catastrophic plant failures.