Sumary of Watch: Rand Paul Grills Sec. Blinken: “You’d Think You’d Know Before You Off Someone With A Predator Drone”:
- Republican Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky was the one Congressional leader who went “gloves off” in grilling Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday over the US drone strike in Kabul last month which came in the final days of the chaotic evacuation and troop pullout.
- Paul asked Blinken directly, “Was he an aid worker or an ISIS-K operative?
- ” To which Blinken responded “I don’t know,” and said the strike was still being reviewed internally.
- com/kGWSuTySho — Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) September 14, 2021Paul continued to press Blinken over just what the Pentagon knew about its target ahead of the strike, and that’s when the Republican senator delivered his most stinging and sarcastic rebuke: “You’d think you’d kind of know before you off someone with a predator drone,” Paul said.
- Ultimately Blinken during his testimony admitted the US now doesn’t exactly know who it killed in the drone strike, but that it’s still being investigated by the Pentagon.
- “The administration is of course reviewing that strike and I’m sure that a full assessment will be forthcoming,” Blinken said, leading Paul to press the issue.
- When Blinken said he could not speak to that in the setting they were in, Paul asked, “So you don’t know or won’t tell us?
- “”I don’t know because we’re reviewing it,” Blinken admitted.