Sumary of UPDATE 5-Intel sales forecast implies rocky second half of 2021 amid supply constraints:
- By Stephen Nellis, Chavi Mehta4 Min Read(Reuters) -Chipmaker Intel Corp said on Thursday it still faces supply chain constraints and gave an annual sales forecast that implied a weak end of the year.
- Intel, one of the few remaining companies in the processor chip industry that both designs and manufactures its own chips, has been able to weather the supply chain woes better than some rivals and is also working to build a business of making chips for others, called a “foundry” business.
- Intel Chief Executive Officer Pat Gelsinger declined to comment on a recent report that Intel is looking to buy GlobalFoundries for $30 billion to bolster its foundry efforts but told Reuters that he expects industry consolidation to continue and that “M&A will remain a part of our strategy” for building the company’s foundry business.
- Intel raised its previous annual forecast $1 billion from its earlier $72.5 billion and beat expectations of $72.80 billion, according to Refinitiv IBES data.
- Intel expects adjusted third-quarter revenue of about $18.2 billion, only modestly above estimates of $18.09 billion, according to Refinitiv data.
- ”Gelsinger said Intel could sell more chips if it could make more chips.
- “We are helping them build factories as fast as they can,” Gelsinger told Reuters.
- ”But some analysts do not agree with Intel’s rosy view of end demand.