Sumary of Time will not heal: 5 ways to address the inheritance of Black poverty, starting now:
- By comparison, more than one in five Black Americans (21.3%) are in the third generation of their family to be poor..
- Black Americans are sixteen times more likely to be in the third generation of poverty, defined as the bottom fifth of the income distribution (i.e..
- Most 30-something Black Americans (59%) have a grandparent who was poor, compared to just nine percent of whites..
- Even in more recent generations, the chances of being stuck in poverty are much higher for Blacks (especially Black men) than for whites..
- Transfer wealth to Black families End housing segregation Invest in education for Black students Support Black men Cut child poverty Transfer wealth to Black families The racial wealth gap is wide – and as our colleague Bill Gale work shows, likely getting wider..
- Wealth is not income, but it both represents long-run income gaps, and can help to increase opportunity for our children, for example by helping with the costs of college, buying a car, or with a down payment on an apartment in a new city….