Sumary of The Gun That Killed Billy The Kid Is Going Up For Auction. Starting Bid: $2 Million:
- Pat Garrett’s Colt single action army revolver was used to gun down Billy the Kid.
- Bonhams hide caption toggle caption Bonhams Pat Garrett’s Colt single action army revolver was used to gun down Billy the Kid.
- Bonhams A revolver that killed one of the most famous wanted men in the Wild West 140 years ago is slated to be offered for millions of dollars next month.
- In 2008, for instance, Bonham sold Billy’s gun for $64,350. Billy the Kid, a gunslinger often said to have killed eight men, had been on the run for three months when Sheriff Pat Garrett hid in a dark bedroom and shot him in the chest on July 14, 1881, in Fort Sumner, N.
- The single action revolver Garrett used will be offered at Bonhams auction house, which estimates it could go for $2 million to $3 million.
- Garrett had taken the gun from another member of the Kid’s gang, Billy Wilson, after he arrested him.
- “It was in the hands of both the law man and the outlaw at various times,” Bonhams senior specialist Catherine Williamson told NPR.
- Pat Garrett signed a book contract in 1881 for publication of The Authentic Life of Billy, the Kid.