Sumary of The GOP is using the format of Trump's election lies in the California gubernatorial recall, but it's unclear how it will work in the Golden State:
- GOP operatives are embracing election fraud claims again ahead of the California recall election.
- For months, organizers, candidates, and media outlets have ratcheted up election conspiracies similar to 2020. Insider spoke to political experts about how Trump’s “big lie” format is playing out in the recall race.
- Former President Donald Trump and a crop of GOP candidates are laser-focused on reviving Trump-style election fraud claims in anticipation of a potential loss in the California governor recall election.
- “In Trump’s head, there are only two outcomes: Elections that his side wins and elections that are rigged,” Jim Newton, a lecturer of public policy and veteran journalist, told Insider.
- On Monday, GOP frontrunner and radio host Larry Elder declined to commit to accepting the results of the recall election on September 14, during an interview with NBC News.
- Elder was asked if he will accept the election results — regardless of who wins — twice and did not directly answer either time.
- —Jacob Soboroff (@jacobsoboroff) September 13, 2021″I think we all need to be looking at election integrity, whether you’re a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent,” Elder said, avoiding to commit multiple times.
- Elder’s campaign website took it a step further, asking residents to sign a form, “demanding a special session of the California legislature to investigate and ameliorate the twisted results of this 2021 Recall Election of Governor Gavin Newsom.