Sumary of Study of Booster Shot Benefits Fans Debate Over Extra Doses:
- The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, is the latest salvo in the conflict over whether booster doses are needed for healthy adults and whether they should be given out, as the Biden administration plans to do, when so much of the world remains unvaccinated.
- ”Federal health officials — including Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, President Biden’s top medical adviser on the pandemic — have justified plans to distribute booster shots by pointing to emerging evidence from Israel and other countries suggesting that immunity from vaccination wanes over time.
- “Our primary goal here in this pandemic was, first of all, to avoid, to end all preventable deaths,” said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist at the World Health Organization and a co-author of The Lancet review.
- ”To prevent the virus from morphing into even more dangerous forms than the Delta variant — and perhaps into one that evades the immune response entirely — the more urgent need, experts said, is to protect the unvaccinated, both in the United States and elsewhere.
- has asked world leaders to refrain from rolling out boosters at least till the end of the year, with the goal of immunizing 40 percent of the global population.
- ”The only vaccinated patients he has seen in the hospital are immunocompromised or adults over 70 who also have other health conditions, he added.
- In citing the need for boosters, Dr. Fauci and other health officials have referenced the Israeli data showing a rise in severe illness among vaccinated people of all ages.
- 23, the Food and Drug Administration granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for people 16 and up, paving the way for an increase in mandates in both the public and private sectors.