Sumary of Sherrod Brown called Janet Yellen, anxious that poor families may be shut out of 'Social Security for kids.' He's not the only worried Democrat.:
- Senate Democrats are pressuring Treasury and the IRS to fix the portal for low-income families to get child tax credit cash.
- Sherrod Brown called Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Wednesday, he told Insider.
- Senate Democrats are pressing the Treasury Department and the IRS to ensure that the poorest families can access what they’re already calling “Social Security for kids.
- Sherrod Brown of Ohio, chair of the Senate Banking Committee, said in a Thursday interview he called Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen about it only a day before.
- “I spoke an hour with Yellen yesterday, we talked at length about the non-filer portal.
- My staff talks to the IRS about this and Treasury three to four times a week.
- ” Brown didn’t offer a timeline for when the portal would be fixed, saying he didn’t know.
- It’s a shift from last week, when Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer strongly defended the website as “a very simple way to file.