Sumary of Russia Takes Ukraine To Europe’s Top Rights Court Over Civilian Deaths In Maidan & Donbass:
- Russia is making the unprecedented move of bringing a case against the Ukrainian government before Europe’s top rights court over a slew of issues including the 2014 Maidan coup, civilian deaths in Donbass, and the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 disaster which killed 298 people.
- The Russian General Prosecutor’s Office will bring the case to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Russia’s first ever such interstate complaint to the ECHR.
- ECHR file”The claim intends to draw the European Court’s and the entire world community’s attention to the gross and systematic violations of human rights by the Ukrainian authorities,” the Russian prosecutor’s office said further.
- The deaths of 298 people on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 by Ukraine’s failure to close airspace over the combat zone.
- (International investigators say a Russian-made surface-to-air missile shot down Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. The Dutch government lodged a rare interstate complaint with the ECHR against Russia last year.
- 2014, Getty ImagesThe Strasbourg-based court rarely sees interstate applications;