Sumary of McMaken: Biden’s Vaccine Mandates Are All About Power:
- Authored by Ryan McMaken via The Mises Institute,Last week, the Biden administration announced sweeping new mandates.
- The new mandates require that all employers with more than one hundred workers require workers to be vaccinated or to test for the virus weekly.
- The mandates also require covid vaccinations for the 17 million workers at health facilities that receive federal Medicare or Medicaid.
- Moreover, vaccines are mandated for all employees of the federal government’s executive branch, and for all contractors who do business with the federal government.
- The new mandates extend an earlier mandate from this summer which required vaccinations for nursing home staff to other healthcare settings, including hospitals, home health agencies, and dialysis centers.
- Clearly, this represents yet another dangerous frontier in using a perceived or real crisis to justify an immense expansion in state power and state control over the population.
- Abandoning Limits on Government PowerThese arguments in favor of mandates, of course, are all premised on the idea that the federal government should be unrestrained in its ability to impose “solutions” to various perceived or real crises.
- It has become abundantly clear that the federal government—and especially the executive branch—regards legal and constitutional limits on federal power as mere inconveniences to be ignored.