Sumary of Indexes inch higher on Wall Street, preserving weekly gains:
- Stocks eked out modest gains on Wall Street today, extending the market’s winning streak into a third day and keeping the major indexes on pace to end the week higher.
- Banks, energy companies and industrial stocks weighed on the benchmark index, though solid gains by Apple, Microsoft and other big technology stocks helped nudge the index up.
- Still, the gains preserve stock indexes’ comeback following a sharp sell-off to start the week.
- A key question: Will the central bank provide new hints about when it might begin to unwind some of the support that’s helped keep the economy going during the pandemic now that inflation is on the rise.
- The S&P 500 index rose 8.79 points to 4,367.48. The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 25.35 points, or 0.1%, to 34,823.35. The Nasdaq composite gained 52.64 points, or 0.4%, to 14,684.60. All three indexes remain close to the all-time highs they set early last week.