Sumary of House Bills Seek to Break Up Amazon and Other Big Tech Companies:
- One of the proposed measures, titled the Ending Platform Monopolies Act, seeks to require structural separation of Amazon and other big technology companies to break up their businesses..
- It would make it unlawful for a covered online platform to own a business that “utilizes the covered platform for the sale or provision of products or services”.
- The platform company also couldn’t own businesses that create conflicts of interest, such as by creating the “incentive and ability”.
- Newsletter Sign-up Technology Alert A separate bill takes a different approach to target platforms’ self-preferencing..
- It would bar them from conduct that “advantages the covered platform operator own products, services, or lines of business over those of another business user,”.
- A fourth bill targets mergers, making it unlawful for a large online platform to acquire competitors or potential competitors….