Sumary of Ex-US:
- Defendants Marc Baier, Ryan Adams, and Daniel Gericke were part of a clandestine unit named Project Raven, first reported by Reuters https://www.
- com/investigates/special-report/usa-spying-raven, that helped the United Arab Emirates spy on its enemies.
- The three entered into an agreement, known as a deferred prosecution agreement, with U.S. prosecutors who accused them of conspiring to violate hacking laws, the Justice Department said in court documents filed on Tuesday.
- com/investigates/special-report/usa-spying-raven that Baier was a program manager for Project Raven.
- The court document states: “Defendants used illicit, fraudulent, and criminal means, including the use of advanced covert hacking systems that utilized computer exploits obtained from the United States and elsewhere, to gain unauthorized access to protected computers in the United States and elsewhere and to illicitly obtain information.
- “Lori Stroud, a former U.S. National Security Agency analyst who worked on Project Raven and then acted as a whistleblower https://www.
- com/investigates/special-report/usa-spying-raven, said on Tuesday: “The Bureau’s dedication to justice is commendable, and I have the utmost respect for the agents assigned to this case.
- The court documents describe how the three men helped the UAE design, procure and deploy hacking capabilities over multiple years.