Sumary of Chip Maker Nvidia Is Buying a Mapping Start-Up. Here’s Why:
- Courtesy of NVIDIA Graphics and artificial intelligence chip maker Nvidia said Thursday it planned to acquire DeepMap, an autonomous-vehicle mapping start-up, for an undisclosed sum..
- The tuck-in acquisition will help improve Nvidia stack of self-driving technology, improving the necessary mapping and location functions..
- “DeepMap is expected to extend our mapping products, help us scale worldwide map operations and expand our full self-driving expertise.”.
- Nvidia operates a self-driving segment that includes on-vehicle products such as its Drive hardware and software..
- DeepMap makes high-definition mapping software that can scale across fleets of self-driving cars, and can function around the world, among other features..
- Nvidia said DeepMap uses crowdsourced data from vehicle sensors to build maps that are constantly updated as cars drive….