Sumary of China moves to limit social media, gaming as teens get more addicted and mental health is impacted:
- Evercore ISI senior managing director Mark Mahaney says social media platform Snapchat has the fastest growing user base.
- China has been cracking down on social media and gaming usage among kids, as teens in other countries spend more time online.
- “Youth mode” allows users under 18 to watch videos for no more than 40 minutes at a time, and young users cannot access the app between 10 p.
- The content that young users watch on the app is also screened by Douyin content reviewers.
- Online game providers can now only allow young users to play games for an hour between 8 p.
- on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and on official holidays, state-run media outlet Xinhua News reported.
- Chinese authorities have reportedly argued that “youth mode” features do not go far enough and have been cracking down on companies to make it more difficult for young users to bypass these time-limit features, according to the South China Morning Post.
- TIKTOK TO AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE VIDEOS SHOWING NUDITYMobile users in China ranked No. 1 for time spent on mobile apps in the first quarter of 2021, followed by India, Brazil and the United States, data from app analytics website App Annie shows.