Sumary of 10 Things in Politics: Biden says Fox News saw the light on vaccines:
- “Republican lawmakers are also emphasizing getting vaccinated: House Minority Whip Steve Scalise revealed he just received his first dose because of concerns about the Delta variant.
- 3. Republicans pull out of Capitol riot panel: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said the GOP would not participate in the select committee investigating the riot after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi vetoed two of McCarthy’s five choices to serve on the panel.
- Pelosi acknowledged her decision was unprecedented but said the equally “unprecedented situation” of the insurrection necessitated her blocking Reps.
- Here’s what’s next for the inquiry into the worst attack on the Capitol since the British torched the building in 1814. Rep. Liz Cheney defended Pelosi’s decision: Cheney, the only Republican on the panel, said McCarthy’s behavior had disqualified him from being speaker should the GOP retake the majority.
- ‘”4. The White House is said to be debating a masking push: Top officials are discussing whether they should urge all Americans regardless of their vaccination status to wear masks in more settings because of the Delta variant, The Washington Post reports.
- 6. Early infrastructure vote fails, but lawmakers don’t seem discouraged: Senate Republicans voted against advancing the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure deal.
- The vote failed on a 49-51 vote, with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer voting no only so he could bring it up again later.