Sumary of Massive outage disrupts internet services in Canada and around the world:
- Thousands of websites and digital services around the world were unavailable on Thursday after cloud computing company Akamai experienced what it called a “service incident.
- “Akamai, a Massachusetts-based company whose services work behind the scenes to keep large portions of the internet functioning, said on its website that it is “aware of an emerging issue with the Edge DNS service.
- Akamai’s DNS services guard against those attacks, known as DDOS or Distributed Denial Of Service attacks.
- “They’re like a shield that steps in between you and the website,” Matt Hatfield, campaigns director with digital rights watchdog Open Media, said in an interview.
- “We are aware of an emerging issue with the Edge DNS service,” Akamai said on its website.
- ” Akamai said the disruption was not caused by a cyberattack.
- ET, the company said on Twitter that it had fixed the problem.
- ” We are continuing to monitor the situation and can confirm this was not a result of a cyberattack on the Akamai platform.